Thursday, August 16, 2007

Why the Peace Corps?

So its less then two weeks until departing for Nicaragua and I wanted to take a chance to explain why I am joining the Peace Corps. As you can imagine I have been asked this question almost on a daily basis, and yet I have not been able to come up with a concise two sentence or less answer. That's because there are WAY too many positives that I will gain out of this experience. Learning Spanish, helping out people that truly need it, traveling a new country, testing my skill and determination. I could go on and on about all the things that intrigue me about this experience I am setting out on, however luckily at the end of our 80 page book on Nicaragua that the PC gave to us there were several welcome letters. One of these stood out to me as why I want to join so I will share that with you.

On a quick side note, I am not planning on running away and never coming back. I want to take this chance while I am young and unattached to try to make a small difference, try to help people out that truly need it while growing and challenging myself. I have plenty of time to settle down and climb that corporate latter, now just isn't the right time...

With out further ado here is the passage, and I do apologize to the author as I did cut out several sentences as to make it shorter and more relevant to my interests.

"The most important quality that a successful aspiring Peace Corps Volunteer should have is a willing attitude. One should be ready to adapt to another culture without a lot of resistance. You must maintain your thoughts and ideals, but have an openness to them maybe changing a bit and that being just fine.

Things are going to be awkward, uncomfortable, and just plain weird, but go with it. It will all mean something in the end. Maybe realize that you may not change the world, but you are going to make an impression. You will see poverty like you have never seen before, but those poverty-stricken people will become your neighbors and your friends. You will spend many days drinking coffee with them, sharing food with them, and talking. You will teach and you will learn. They will give you warm tea when you are sick. They will teach you how to wash your worn-in clothes on stones. They will take you to hidden rivers and waterfalls. Many will listen to your advice about planting trees, taking birth control, or not throwing their trash on the ground. They will correct your incorrect Spanish. They will smile at you when you have a bad day and toss you some inside joke that will make your struggles disappear for a moment.

In the midst of all of it, you will be a better and stronger person. Have a great time and savor all of it. This experience, your Peace Corps host country, and most of all, the people in it, will influence you in ways you can never imagine."

—Annie Burtch

You can find the full letter by following the link provided in the last post.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi James,
Thank you for sharing the "heart-felt" letter. Yes, you will make a difference in Nicaragua, and you will come back a different person than when you left. You will have a wonderful adventure, and I'm glad that the Peace Corps will be a major part of your life journey. Love, Mom

Sammy said...

James,
Despite everyone's doubts and concerns, I think what your doing is great!. Your doing something out of the ordinary. I don't think you will ever look back with any regrets. One day, when you are older, married with children and at an 8-5 job, you will always have this experience to look back and remember your biggest accomplishments. Not a lot of people come out their box and lend a helping hand to people in need. Trust me, I know from experience. So.....what I am trying to say is that I am proud of you. You'll make a difference in many people's lives, as well as your own. Don't forget the message of Mark Twain's quote! Keep in touch.
P.S. Sorry sooo long