Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Some more pics for you...

This picture shows David, but more importantly what most of the area around me looks like. Like I have mentioned I am surrounded by bean fields but also what you can see better in this picture is I live in the mountains. This is good and bad, first its absolutely beautiful. However it absolutely sucks to walk anywhere. Like I said in the pic below my closest site mate is Marlena, she is only 2 miles away, however there is a huge mountain I have to walk and can take up to an hour and a half walking back from her site.
Here is a picture taken from a project we just completed yesterday. We went to one of my neighboring volunteers sites and built an improved stove that will used less firewood, thus saving the environment and the family money. In this picture is David and Marlena, they are the two closest volunteers from my training group. Marlena is a 2 mile walk while David is only like an hour and half by a bus.


Here is the swearing-in picture I mentioned in the last blog. The joke is that we all greased our hair back for the swearing in ceremony, along with the greased hair many of us decided also to sport various facial hair styles. Well lets just say that the PC thought it was our way of being professional and dressing up and thought we were one of the best mannered ag groups in awhile. Sorry I dont have a picture of the whole group as the picture that I have is quite fuzzy and you cannot tell who each person is.


Here is a picture from my youth group going away party. There were four volunteers that worked with this group: myself, Greg on the upper left, Ivy is in the upper middle with blonde hair and a tiedye shirt and then Sarah is in the lower right with the tiedye shirt. This was the group of volunteers who lived in my training town and had spanish class with me. Unfortunately because of health problems Greg had to terminate his service early and return to the US. He was a great friend and will be missed over here.


This is a picture of my host family. Yes that is my first Nica shirt as they say, first shirt given to me down here in Nicaragua. It was a gift from my sister, Eymy. Eymy is the one on the right, then my host mom Marisol and my little sister Fatimah.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

love the pictures! miss you!

Sammy said...

Merry Christmas, James! I am sorry I missed both times that you called the house. I wanted to tell you...Feliz Navidad! I heard you moved into your new house, Congratulations! Living large,eh? Haha. Wish you were here Hope your having a great time.