Thursday, December 27, 2007

So what does it really mean...

So this is the blog post to clarify some things...What does it really mean. I have realized that as I post stuff I am not clarifying the difference between how it is in the US and how it is Nica style...

Roads- Yes I do have road access to the Pan American Highway, which is quite nice. However no it is not paved and yes it definately has a lot of manure (both cow and horse) guiding the way. A little funny side note is that my town just completed a two week project where EVERYONE in the town helped out to expand it to a 2 lane road. The funny part is that we only have two vehicles in the WHOLE town. Thus it is now safe that if the two vehicles do meet paths they can cross safely.

Water- Yes I have access to safe drinking water, no I do not have sinks or a hot shower still. Instead I have a water spicket in my yard (much like the old time wells) in which I get all my water (shower, cooking and drinking).

Electricity- Yes I have electricity, however it is only two light bulbs and two electrical outlets. Also, while the President here has assured the public no more blackouts this year (yes he said this with only 15 days left in the year) our power already went out again last night. Blackouts are a regular thing here.

Wake up call- Yes I made the mistake of telling my host family that I could sleep through anything. Now i get the delight of a wake up call every morning at 6am. Oh but this is not a normal wakeup call they blast ranchero music (which is a lot like the worst music you could ever think of). They turn their radio as loud as it can go and think that I can hear my little wrist watch alarm. Yeah it wasnt working....but luckily I am living on my own how.

Shower- Yes i get to take wonderful cold bucket baths...but I also never mentioned that my shower is outside and only has 2.5 walls. Yup its a great show for all the little kids playing outside there with me.

Polisima- this is an event held every december for about 15 days in which the community honors Mother Mary. To do this everyone in the community celebrates at one person's house and the house changes every day. Well no families have any money for decorations, instead they tear down all the decorative plants in their front yard to amass a shrine to the Mother Mary. It is quite amazing the shrines they create, however it leaves their yard a complete disaster. Yeah Im thinking this tradition wont be starting anytime soon in the US.

Meat- Yes I get meat about 2-3 times per week, which is most then many families that I live with. However, I have not seen meet thats not attached to the bone. Oh how I crave a filet mignon.

Living Room Furniture- No there are not lazyboys and definately not couches. Instead we use hammocks (yup those are comfortable) but for chairs we get to enjoy those good ole plastic chairs that many people use for deck furniture back in the states.

*A little side note- once again I am still loving it down here. I do not post this as a slam against Nicaragua. However, I am just posting it so you get a more complete picture of what I see everyday.

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Sammy said...

Happy Belated Birthday! Hope you had a great one!